Pennsylvania Cannabis Labeling Laws
Updated June 19, 2020
CHAPTER 1151. GROWERS/PROCESSORS
§ 1151.34. Packaging and labeling of medical marijuana products.
(a) A grower/processor shall package and label at its facility each form of medical marijuana products prepared for sale. The original seal of a package may not be broken, except for quality control testing at an approved laboratory, for adverse loss investigations conducted by the Department or by a dispensary that purchased the medical marijuana products.
(b) A grower/processor shall package the medical marijuana products in a package that minimizes exposure to oxygen and that is:
(2) Tamper-proof or tamper-evident.
(3) Light-resistant or opaque, or both.
(c) A grower/processor shall identify each process lot of medical marijuana with a unique identifier.
(d) A grower/processor shall obtain the prior written approval of the Department of the content of any label to be affixed to a medical marijuana product package. Each label must meet the following requirements:
(1) Be easily readable.
(2) Made of weather-resistant and tamper-resistant materials.
(3) Be conspicuously placed on the package.
(4) Include the name, address and permit number of the grower/processor.
(5) List the form, quantity and weight of medical marijuana included in the package.
(6) List the number of individual doses contained within the package, and the species and percentage of THC and CBD.
(7) Contain an identifier that is unique to a particular harvest batch of medical marijuana, including the number assigned to each harvest lot or process lot in the harvest batch.
(8) Include the date the medical marijuana product was packaged.
(9) State the employee identification number of the employee preparing the package and packaging the medical marijuana product.
(10) State the employee identification number of the employee shipping the package, if different than the employee described in paragraph (9).
(11) Contain the name and address of the dispensary to which the package is to be sold.
(12) List the date of expiration of the medical marijuana product.
(13) Include instructions for proper storage of the medical marijuana product in the package.
(14) Contain the following warning stating:
This product is for medicinal use only. Women should not consume during pregnancy or while breastfeeding except on the advice of the practitioner who issued the certification and, in the case of breastfeeding, the infant’s pediatrician. This product might impair the ability to drive or operate heavy machinery. Keep out of reach of children.
(15) Contain a warning that the medical marijuana product must be kept in the original container in which it was dispensed.
(16) Contain a warning that unauthorized use is unlawful and will subject the purchaser to criminal penalties.
(e) Labeling by a grower/processor of any medical marijuana product may not bear:
(1) Any resemblance to the trademarked, characteristic or product-specialized packaging of any commercially available food or beverage product.
(2) Any statement, artwork or design that could reasonably lead an individual to believe that the package contains anything other than medical marijuana.
(3) Any seal, flag, crest, coat of arms or other insignia that could reasonably mislead an individual to believe that the product has been endorsed, manufactured or approved for use by any state, county or municipality or any agency thereof.
(4) Any cartoon, color scheme, image, graphic or feature that might make the package attractive to children.
DISCLAIMER: The contents of the Multifeeder Technology website regulatory pages are intended to convey general information only. The information herein should not be relied upon for legal advice on state marijuana laws. We provide links to state cannabis regulatory sites; we do not vouch for or assume any responsibility for the content, accuracy or completeness of material presented in linked sites. The information presented on these pages may not reflect the most current legal developments in the marijuana industry. We disclaim all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all of the contents of this site to the fullest extent permitted by law.