Maryland Cannabis Labeling Laws
PACKAGING OF MEDICAL CANNABIS FINISHED PRODUCT
A. All items shall be individually packaged at the original point of processing.
B. Packaging Requirements. A package of medical cannabis finished product shall:
(1) Be plain;
(2) Be opaque;
(3) Be tamper-evident, and if applicable or appropriate, child-resistant;
(4) Bear a finished-product lot number and an expiration date;
(5) Bear a clear warning that:
(a) The contents may be lawfully consumed only by a qualifying patient named on an attached label;
(b) It is a illegal for any person to possess or consume the contents of the package other than the qualifying patient; and
(c) It is a illegal to transfer the package or contents to any person other than a transfer by a caregiver to a qualifying patient;
(6) Bear a clear warning to keep the package and its contents away from children other than a qualifying patient;
(7) Bear the Maryland Poison Control Center emergency telephone number;
(8) Bear the name of the licensee that packaged the medical cannabis finished product and the telephone number of the licensee for reporting an adverse patient event;
(9) Bear any allergen warning required by law;
(10) Bear a listing of the non-medical cannabis ingredients;
(11) Bear an itemization, including weight, of all cannabinoid and terpene ingredients specified for the product, and concentrates of any cannabinoid of less than one percent shall be printed with a leading zero before the decimal point; and
(12) Leave space for a licensed dispensary to attach a personalized label for the qualifying patient.
C. Packaging Prohibitions. A package of medical cannabis finished product may not bear any:
(1) Resemblance to the trademarked, characteristic or product-specialized packaging of any commercially available candy, snack, baked good or beverage;
(2) Statement, artwork or design that could reasonably mislead any person to believe that the package contains anything other a medical cannabis finished product;
(3) Seal, flag, crest, coat of arms, or other insignia that could reasonably mislead any person to believe that the product has been endorsed, manufactured, or used by any State, county or municipality or any agency thereof; and
(4) Cartoon, color scheme, image, graphic or feature that might make the package attractive to children.
LABEL FOR DISTRIBUTION TO A QUALIFYING PATIENT
A. A licensee shall print a label for a package of medical cannabis for a qualifying patient in English in letters no less than one-sixteenth of an inch high. If requested by a qualifying patient or caregiver, the licensee may also print a label in another language.
B. A licensee may not distribute a package of medical cannabis without a label securely attached.
C. A licensee shall state on a label of a package of medical cannabis:
(1) The name of the qualifying patient;
(2) The name of the certifying physician;
(3) The name of the licensee where the product was dispensed;
(4) The date that the medical cannabis was dispensed;
(5) The name of the product;
(6) The strength of applicable cannabinoid and terpene compounds:
(a) Displayed in units appropriate to the dosage form; and
(b) Concentrations of any cannabinoid of less than one percent shall be printed with a leading zero before the decimal point;
(7) The quantity of medical cannabis dispensed, displayed in units appropriate to the dosage form;
(8) Any directions for use of the product; and
(9) The instructions for proper storage or handling of the product.
D. Any other information required by the dispensary at its discretion may be provided in a patient insert.
E. The label may not:
(1) Contain any false or misleading statement or design; or
(2) Include any statement, image or design that may not be included on the package.
DISCLAIMER: The contents of the Multifeeder Technology website regulatory pages are intended to convey general information only. The information herein should not be relied upon for legal advice on state marijuana laws. We provide links to state cannabis regulatory sites; we do not vouch for or assume any responsibility for the content, accuracy or completeness of material presented in linked sites. The information presented on these pages may not reflect the most current legal developments in the marijuana industry. We disclaim all liability in respect to actions taken or not taken based on any or all of the contents of this site to the fullest extent permitted by law.